Walk Hard, The Dewey Cox Story (2007)


Rated: R for sexual content, graphic nudity, drug use and language.
Length: Too long. But in reality, only 96 minutes.
Grade: FFFF=F
Budget: $35 million
Box Office: $33 million ($18 US, $2 Intl, $13 DVD)


Written and Directed by: Jake Kasdan, whose only noteworthy other movie was the unusual TV Set with David Duchovney, and Jude Apotow, whose “highlights” include Superbad, Drillbit Taylor, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Knocked Up, Talladega Nights, 40 Year Old Virgin, Kicking and Screaming, Anchorman, and the newly released Pineapple Express.
People paid to act in this film: John C. Reilly, Tim Meadows, Jenna Fischer, and Raymond Barry, with cameos by Harold Ramis, Frankie Muniz, Jack Black, Paul Rudd, Jason Schwartzman, and Justin Long.

Summary:
This is mostly a parody/mockumentary rip-off of Walk the Line, the excellent biopic of Johnny Cash.
.
Comments:
If F was its grade, why did I finish it? My wife forced me to, not as punishment, but because she held out a much more naïve optimistic hope that it would eventually become funny. It did not. I was right for wanting to quit after 10 minutes. She was wrong. Na, na, na, na, na! Look, this movie is pure filth. It verges on being NC-17 between the sexual content, language, and drug use. And it’s not funny. In fact, laughs were so rare, that I actually kept a tally: 4. That’s right, in a 96 minute “comedy,” I laughed four times. I laugh more often frequently watching a PBS pledge drive. I’m beginning to wonder if there might be a legal remedy for atrocious films. Perhaps I could sue Jude Apotow for my time back? The one good bit of news out of all of this is that it did inspire me with a Monday discussion topic: what’s the worst film you ever saw? The only tragedy for me is that this isn’t even at the top of the list. But not for a lack of trying. John C. Reilly hasn’t been in a single movie I’ve liked since 1990’s Days of Thunder. That means he’s now on my blacklist. And if you want a mockumentary that's actually funny, re-watch Spinal Tap. It goes to eleven.

No comments: